At the Library: Feb. 6
A look at upcoming events and new releases at our local libraries.
The events information and reviews contained in this article are submitted to Patch by the Baltimore County Public Library system via weekly press releases.
New Books at the Library This Week
The Fault in our Stars by John Green
"The much-lauded author of young adult fiction returns with a humorous and emotional novel about a teen with terminal cancer and her outlook on what is left of her life. Adults love John Green too, so don’t think you have to be 16 to read and enjoy his contributions to literature!"
Kill Switch by Neal Baer and Jonathan Greene
"Television writer Baer turns to fiction in this fast-paced novel about a forensic investigator and a serial killer on the loose. Also available in audiobook."
The Rook by Daniel O’Malley
"This debut paranormal thriller is getting a lot of attention. This book is filled with suspense and dry witty humor and is a guaranteed page-turner."
Greedy Bastards: How We Can Stop Corporate Communists, Banksters and Other Vampires from Sucking America Dry by Dylan Ratigan
"In the journalist and MSNBC's The Dylan Ratigan Show host's first book, Ratigan explains how 'greedy bastards' have taken over our health care system, banks, energy pipelines and other sectors. Known for his non-partisan approach to the issues, his examples include flow charts and cartoons to underscore his points, and he looks at how other nations have found solutions to some of the issue he explores. Also available in audiobook."
Upcoming Events for Adults
- Readers of the Roundtable Book Club Meeting: Discuss Ever by My Side by Nick Trout at 10 a.m. Feb. 21.
- Sign up for a one-on-one appointment with an adviser from the Small Business Resource Center who can help with business plan development, marketing, loan preparation and minority business enterprise. Appointments are available at 11 a.m., 12 and 1 p.m. Feb. 8; call 410-887-0512.
- Learn how to write a sucessful résumé during a workshop at 6 p.m. Feb. 13. Bring in your current résumé for a free critique.
- Join Kristen Jarmer at 7 p.m. Feb. 14 to share knitting tips and learn from other knitters.
Loch Raven Branch
- Guest Speaker Series: At 2 p.m. Feb. 14, Baltimore photographer David Simpson discusses his book featuring dozens of full-color images of Loch Raven Reservoir.
Upcoming Events for Kids
Parkville Branch (9509 Harford Road, 410-887-5353):
- Preschool Story Time: stories, activities and songs, for ages 2-5 years with an adult, 9:30 a.m. Feb. 9.
Rosedale Branch (6105 Kenwood Avenue, 410-887-0512)
- Toddler Story Time: short stories, music and movement activities, for ages 2-3 years with an adult, registration required, 10:30 a.m., Feb. 7.
- Video Gaming for Teens: playing Rock Band, Guitar Hero and other fun Wii and Xbox 360 games, for teens ages 11-17, registration required, 3 p.m. Feb. 9;
- Preschool Story Time: stories, activities and songs, for ages 2-5 years with an adult, 10:30 a.m. Feb. 10
- Introduction to the Internet: learning basic Internet skills, for age 13 and up, registration required, 9 a.m. Feb. 9.
- Pajama Story Time: bedtime stories and songs, for ages 2-5 years with an adult, 7 p.m. Feb. 8.
- Zumbatomic Dance Fitness for Kids: high-energy kids’ fitness program, packed with specially choreographed, kid-friendly routines set to rockin’ music. Sneakers advised, for school age children (4-12 years old/children 4-7 with an adult) 2 p.m. Feb. 11.
Do you make use of your local library branch? Read a great book lately and want to make a recommendation? Tell us in the comments.