1. The Weather: Today is supposed to be partly sunny with a high of about 89 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. There will be a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 8 p.m., and the overnight low is expected to be about 71.
In other words, a pretty spectacular day—get outside and enjoy if you're able!
2. From history.com's This Day in History: "The most powerful volcanic eruption in recorded history occurs on Krakatau (also called Krakatoa), a small, uninhabited volcanic island located west of Sumatra in Indonesia, on this day in 1883. Heard 3,000 miles away, the explosions threw five cubic miles of earth 50 miles into the air, created 120-foot tsunamis and killed 36,000 people."
Also on this day, future President Lyndon B. Johnson was born (1908) and Beatles manager Brian Epstein died (1967).
3. A local Girl Scout troop will hold a flea market Sept. 7 at St. Clement School in Rosedale. Click on the link for more information.
4. Shingles is a painful affliction that affects many older people. The Overlea-Fullerton Senior Center invites you to a talk about the shingles virus and why it's important to get the vaccine. Click the link for more information.
5. Do you have pictures of your kids embarking on the first day of school? Send them to email@example.com, and I'll put together a gallery.