Parkville-Overlea Patch is served by three branches of the Baltimore County Public Library system and in this monthly column we'll take a look at some of the top titles and new releases for those of you looking to curl up with a good book.
During January, the following books were loaned out the most by library branches, according to a news release from BCPL:
Top 10 Fiction Titles during January 2013 (with number of loans)
- The Casual Vacancy (Rowling, J. K.) — 899
- Private London (Patterson, James,) — 567
- Merry Christmas, Alex Cross (Patterson, James) — 555
- Gone Girl: A Novel (Flynn, Gillian) — 530
- NYPD Red (Patterson, James) — 521
- Notorious Nineteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (Evanovich, Janet) — 507
- Zoo (Patterson, James) — 490
- The Perfect Hope (Roberts, Nora) — 485
- Low Pressure (Brown, Sandra) — 483
- I, Michael Bennett (Patterson, James) — 454
Top 10 Nonfiction Titles at BCPL in January (with number of loans)
- Killing Kennedy: The End Of Camelot (O’Reilly, Bill) — 200
- Social Boom!: How to Master Business Social Media to Brand Yourself, Sell Yourself, Sell Your Product, Dominate Your Industry Market, Save Your Butt, Rake in the Cash, and Grind Your Competition into the Dirt - by the Global Authority on Sales, Attitude, Trust and Loyalty (Gitomer, Jeffrey H.) — 143
- No Easy Day: The Autobiography of a Navy Seal (Owen, Mark) — 126
- Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination That Changed America Forever (O’Reilly, Bill) — 111
- In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler’s Berlin (Larson, Erik) — 110
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Skloot, Rebecca) — 107
- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Strayed, Cheryl) — 102
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity (Boo, Katherine) — 101
- Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots (Feldman, Deborah) — 99
- The 150 Most Effective Ways to Boost Your Energy: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth About Using Nutrition, Exercise, Supplements, Stress Relief, and Personal Empowerment to Stay Energized All Day, Refuel Your Body, Energize Your Mind, Make You Sleep Better and Give You Vitality from Dawn to Bedtime (Bowden, Jonny) — 92
The library also provided reviews of a few books new to the system in February.
Big Nate Flips Out by Lincoln Peirce: "The fifth Big Nate novel is finally here, and Nate’s messiness is getting him and his best friend in trouble in this fun, illustrated novel by Lincoln Peirce."
The Woman from Paris by Santa Montefiore: "Lord Frampton dies suddenly in a skiing accident, and a beautiful young Frenchwoman named Phaedra
appears at his funeral claiming to be his illegitimate daughter. While Phaedra ingratiates herself into the family and is slowly welcomed, one family member is determined to expose her as a fraud."
Lucky Me: My Life With — and Without — My Mom, Shirley MacLaine by Sachi Parker: "Life as the daughter of Hollywood royalty is detailed by Shirley MacLaine’s daughter, including traveling between her mother’s home in L.A. and her father’s home in Japan, and the impact her parents’ unconventional marriage had on her relationships."
See Now Then by Jamaica Kincaid: "Literary fiction fans have waited ten years for the acclaimed Kincaid’s latest – the story of a failing marriage and the passing of time set in a small village in New England."
To read more book reviews from the Baltimore County Public Library's librarian bloggers, check out Between the Covers — the library's blog.
What are you reading this month? Have a great book to recommend? Leave a comment for your fellow readers.