Everyone knows you can’t enjoy a good game without some good food. With the Baltimore Ravens one game away from the Superbowl, why not cook up some Ravens-themed food complete with Ravens colors?
Chef Jonathan Lindenauer at The Classic Catering People in Owings Mills recommends cooking up An Unkind of Wings and The Black and Purple Burger to get pumped for Sunday’s game.
Editor's note: A group of Ravens is called an 'unkindness.'
An ‘Unkind’ of Wings
- 24 whole chicken wings
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dark BBQ sauce (such as Sweet Baby Ray’s, or KC Masterpiece)
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 4 to 5 drops of black food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Purple cabbage, cut into long pieces, 3inches by ½ inches
- Blue cheese dressing
- Place a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and 1-inch of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove the tips of the wings and discard or save for making stock. Using kitchen shears, or a knife, separate the wings at the joint. Place the wings into the steamer basket, cover, reduce the heat to medium and steam for 10 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Replace the paper towels with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.
- While the chicken is roasting, melt the butter in a small bowl along with the garlic. Pour this along with hot sauce, bbq sauce, food coloring, and salt into a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken and stir to combine.
- Remove the wings from the oven and transfer to the bowl and toss with the sauce. Serve warm with the cabbage and blue cheese dressing.
The ‘Black and Purple’ Burger
Serves: 8 people
- 1 head red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 large carrots, finely shredded
- 3/4 cup best-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Spanish onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 ½ to 4 pounds of good quality ground beef
- Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hamburger buns
- Condiments of choice: bacon, onions, tomato, lettuce, cheese
- Prepare the burgers in 6 to 8 ounce patties. Season with the Montreal Seasoning, salt and pepper, and set aside at room temp while you prepare the “Purple Slaw.”
- Combine the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard, celery salt, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, and then add to the cabbage mixture. Mix well to combine and taste for seasoning; add more salt, pepper, or sugar if desired.
- Cook burgers on a hot grill to desired temperature. Approx 3 ½ minutes per side for medium rare.
- Build the burgers as: burger on bottom, cheese (if using), favorite condiments.
- Top with the “Purple Slaw.”